Below you can find information regarding who can and cannot apply for this fund, and what can and cannot be funded.
Who can apply?
Who cannot apply?
Where an organisation or group wishes to apply but has no legal status, we recommend you consider partnering with a qualifying (legal) entity.
What can be funded?
What will not be funded?
Year One of the operation of the Tū Manawa fund highlighted the large demand for financial support and each round was significantly oversubscribed in most regions. Tū Manawa is unable to meet all the demand so has a specific focus on the costs of delivering an activity opportunity.
We recognise that the quality of the play, active recreation or sport experience for tamariki and rangatahi is often enhanced by the involvement of whanau / family – we will consider funding applications that engage them in the project or activity.
Funding Request Guidance
Through the first year of the fund, Nuku Ora received applications requesting in excess of $6,000,000 in total, inclusive of applications received across our Open Fund and Fast Fund. Through Nuku Ora’s internal review of the administration of the fund in our first year, we found that the average dollar amount requested through our Open Fund was high across all applications received through this stream, and across each of the three domains being Play, Active Recreation, and Sport.
- Play = approximately $49,000
- Active Recreation = approximately $50,000
- Sport = approximately $40,000
Nuku Ora acknowledge the importance that this fund places on identifying community need; the consultation with participants in understanding what it is they want to do, and what the existing barriers to making this happen are, play a huge role in ensuring that the projects being supported through this fund are targeted to the needs of the young people being activated. As a result, this information is essential to ensuring that the delivery of programmes / projects are quality.
As a result, Nuku Ora have not placed a fixed funding cap on how much can be applied for through the Open Fund. The rationale for this being leaving this open allows us to be responsive to community need, scale of projects, to cater for partnerships, and also to be able to cater for innovation.
However, Nuku Ora are very aware of the huge demand through this fund from our region, and want to support as many quality projects / programmes as possible across the three domains to ensure our young people are having positive and impactful physical activity experiences – so, whilst Nuku Ora will not enforce a fixed cap for our Open Fund:
As a general rule, we expect applications received via the Open Fund to request no more than $40,000 from Tū Manawa funding – anything over this will be considered, but with a more critical lens by our Community Decision-Making Panel given the fund’s oversubscription to date.
Within this, the panel does understand that:
- In some instances that the needs of some tamariki / rangatahi may be higher e.g. those with disability, and understand that a higher cost is often involved in order to support these participants.
- Generally speaking, Play activations should be cheaper given the equipment and activation involved, versus for instance an Active Recreation initiative that may involve the hiring of equipment or greater instructor involvement to enable that activity to happen for example.
- Innovation is encouraged through this fund, and that often the costs associated with delivering a programme that is new can incur higher costs rather than existing initiatives.
- Whilst this is a fund with a primary focus on quality delivery, the number of participants activated through a programme should have some bearing on the total funding amount sought i.e. more participants often equals higher costs.
- Where possible, we encourage applicants to consider accessing funding from a number of different funders.
- Finally, we encourage applicants to contact us in advance to ensure they focus their energies in accurate and considered ways, and to ensure their application is realistic and robust.
Need more help?
We recommend you get in touch with our Tū Manawa team before submitting your application