Nuku Ora works closely with College Sport Wellington and WAISS Sport in the Wairarapa along with Regional Sports Organisations to deliver the Student Coaching Programme. This programme has been running for 7 years and has provided training for more than 2000 student coaches. The aims of the programme are to:
- Increase the confidence and competence of secondary school student coaches
- Enable colleges and Regional Sports Organisations to provide ongoing support to student coaches
- Ensure more children and young people are staying in organised sport due to quality coaching and coaches providing a positive sporting experience.
One day workshops for student coaches are set up for summer and winter sports codes. Sports covered in these workshops are generally:
Summer – Cricket, Floorball, Futsal, Ki o Rahi, Touch, Volleyball
Winter – Basketball, Football, Hockey, Netball, Rugby
Students gain an understanding of the ‘how’ to coach in the morning with a Coach Developer before spending time with a coach from their chosen sport for the afternoon.
If the student has given permission, the Regional Sports Organisations can connect with the coaches throughout the season with resources, and in-person and online catch ups to help them navigate the sports season.
Summer Code Workshops
- Tuesday 21 February 2023 – Ākau Tangi Sports Centre (formerly known as the ASB Sports Centre)
- Wednesday 22 February 2023 – Walter Nash Stadium
Registrations close 16 February
Winter Code Workshops
- Tuesday 2 May 2023 – Walter Nash Stadium
- Wednesday 3 May 2023 – Te Rauparaha Arena
- Thursday 4 May 2023 - Ākau Tangi Sports Centre (formerly known as the ASB Sports Centre)
Winter Code Workshop
- Tuesday 4 April 2023 - YMCA, Masterton
Summer Code Workshop
- Tuesday 19 September 2023 - YMCA, Masterton
Registrations for these workshops are completed by the College Sports Coordinators/Sports Directors so if you’d like to attend, please talk to the Sports Coordinator/Director at your school.
Find out More!
For more information about the programme please email Graham Witts, Community Development Lead - Participation & Coaching.